Re: gEDA-user: RFC --- Land Pattern (Footprint) Names

John Luciani wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

After reading the second point (again) I think it needs to be
clarified. The point I wanted to make is that footprint names that
contain only an industry standard body size specification (0805, 0603,
etc.) are not used.

The footprint names for chip resistors, chip capacitors and chip
inductors would be:

  resistor footprint  = RESC + body size specification
  capacitor footprint = CAPC + body size specification
  inductor footprint  = INDC + body size specification

Three different footprint names for the same body size specification.

I will rewrite the second point when I update the document.

ah, but if you look carefully, for example at CAPC1005M, INDC1005M, and RESC1005M, you'll see that the footprints are slightly different. I think this is because the z-dimension is different on these packages even though they have the same x and y dimension. Of course, I still think things become messy if different vendors or even different series from the same vendor have a different z-dimension.