Re: gEDA-user: Free Dog meeting report: Notes on the topics we discussed

Ales Hvezda wrote:
Hi Dan,

[snip]

I wonder if its time to make use of AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS() and stick a very brief configure.ac at the top level. I've not done this before, but I wonder if it would let you turn gaf from several tarballs and ./configure && make && make install invocations into 1 tarball and 1 config/install. I think that would go a long way to making it easier for most users.

	In theory, the toplevel makefile should take care of everything:

make
set the environment vars
make install

	and it's far simpler than a configure script.  gEDA/gaf is split
up the way it is to make the package maintainers happy.  However, I will
consider other alternatives like creating a super tarball or such.  Or maybe
just hope that Stuart's CDROM takes care of all such issues. :)

this is assuming everything in the top level makefile is essentially correct for your system. Actually, what would make things easier for the NetBSD package maintainer (me) is a single package instead of 9. The trick is gschem, for example, would need to be taught to build against the not-yet-installed libgeda.

But then again, I don't have to update the NetBSD packages that often so its not a huge issue.

-Dan