Re: gEDA-user: Free Dog meeting report: Notes on the topics we discussed

Olgierd Eysymontt wrote:
Why use a native toolkit ? why not use Java, works great, it's fast and
easy to mantain (lots more than c or c++), runs not only in Linux and
Windows but all platforms and it's very easy to create complex
interfaces.

You're kidding right? I'd argue against that "all platforms" bit. From what I've seen, java really isn't available on all platforms or even most platforms and getting it going is significantly more work than whatever your other favorite toolkit may be. Does it work on linux on other than x86? NetBSD on sparc64? FreeBSD on PowerPC? I don't know the answers to those, but I'll bet you don't get a yes for all 3.

I can't say that I've _ever_ been impressed with _any_ java app. But then again, maybe I used one and didn't realize it.

-Dan