Re: gEDA-user: Free Dog meeting report: Notes on the topics we discussed

On Mon, Sep 19, 2005 at 10:14:34PM -0400, Dan McMahill wrote:
> Olgierd Eysymontt wrote:
> >Why use a native toolkit ? why not use Java, works great, it's fast and
> >easy to mantain (lots more than c or c++), runs not only in Linux and
> >Windows but all platforms and it's very easy to create complex
> >interfaces.
>
> You're kidding right?  I'd argue against that "all platforms" bit.  From
> what I've seen, java really isn't available on all platforms or even
> most platforms and getting it going is significantly more work than
> whatever your other favorite toolkit may be.  Does it work on linux on
> other than x86?  NetBSD on sparc64?  FreeBSD on PowerPC?  I don't know
> the answers to those, but I'll bet you don't get a yes for all 3.

Question: "Does it work on Linux?"
clock@kestrel:~$ java -classpath
*** glibc detected *** free(): invalid next size (fast): 0x08059d88 ***
Aborted (core dumped)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Answer: "No."

> I can't say that I've _ever_ been impressed with _any_ java app.  But
> then again, maybe I used one and didn't realize it.

I was once impressed by slowness of Java. A game "Jet Set Willy" for ZX
Spectrum was emulated in Java - it ran on maximum speed on pipelined
32-bit CPU with 1800MHz clock as fast as original machine code version
ran on 8-bit CPU with 3.5MHz clock where fastest instruction took 4
cycles.

Java is a great tool if you want to destroy planet by meaningless
manufacture of high-power CPU's and then wasting their CPU time and
scarce energy. Not a great tool of you want to run a program.

CL<