Re: gEDA-user: installing geda on fedora 4. Guile is missing.

You are the first to try an install on FC4.  Congratulations!

I am worried that you might have gcc-4 on your machine.  If you do,
then guile will be the least of your worries.  Gcc-4 apparently does
much more strict typechecking than its antecedants, so lots of gEDA
programs will fail to compile.  All gEDA developers (me too) need to
try compiling our apps using gcc-4, and then clean them up if
necessary!  This is a big deal -- otherwise gEDA cannot have another
release!

Anyway, as for your guile problems, it looks like the program
guile-config has been removed with the 1.6.7 release.  My guess is
that guile-config has been replaced by pkg-config, which is where most
*-config programs on Linux are moving.  Unfortunately, my installer
needs guile-config in order to know how to use guile.  Guile-config
was present as of 1.6.3.

My suggestion:

1.  First verify that you have no guile-config on your system ("locate
    guile-config").
2.  Verify that your pkg-config works for guile.  Try "pkg-config
    --modversion guile"
3.  In /usr/bin create a shell script called guile-config.  In the
    shell script, have a single line "pkg-config guile ${0}".  The
    idea is to fool the installer into calling pkg-config when it
    tries to use guile-config.
4.  Test out your new guile-config shell script before running the
    installer.

Yes, this is rather complicated, but if you have enough unix-fu, then
you'll understand what I am trying to do.  In any event, I will need
to modify the installer to be a little more intelligent about looking
for guile.  That is a project for another day. . . . .

Alternately, you can just install by hand, using the tarballs on the
CD.  :-(

Stuart