Re: gEDA-user: Linear voltregs: Symbol bugs or features?

Stuart Brorson wrote:
So what are your ideas about this??? Is it possible to remove
the "net=GND:2" line from the sym files of the whole LM78xx
family?

I am one of the folks who thinks that component symbols should not
have hidden pin connections.  Indeed, this problem is really acute
when the symbols live in a library, since newbies won't know that the
pin is connected to GND unless they open up the symbol and look at the
attributes.
As long as you do standard stuff, for example a uC circuit w/
+5V and GND only, everything is fine. If there would be all those
power supply pins, IMHO it would be a real mess. But if it's
gonna be complicated, I make the power pins visible and connect
them manually to the correct power grid.

OTOH I'm not sure if newbies design a PCB w/ different GND nets
as their first project. But nevertheless, if I would not create
many symbols on my own (Maybe I'll contribute some ;) on a regular
base, I would definitely not have been able to find out what's
going on. Maybe hax0r methods would work: Delete one half of the
schematic and see if the problem is still there and so on.

I did a grep on my symbol library. I searched for "net=GND:2",
so it only lists buggy voltregs in the LM78xx pin configuration
and not in the LM317 layout.

grep says
./linear/lm7812-1.sym:net=GND:2
./linear/lt1782-1.sym:net=GND:2
./linear/lm7815-1.sym:net=GND:2
./linear/lm7912-1.sym:net=GND:2
./linear/lm7885-1.sym:net=GND:2
./linear/lm7810-1.sym:net=GND:2
./linear/lp2954IT-1.sym:net=GND:2
./linear/lm7805-1.sym:net=GND:2
./linear/lm7818-1.sym:net=GND:2
./linear/lm7824-1.sym:net=GND:2
./linear/lm7806-1.sym:net=GND:2

Hope this helps to improve this really great piece of software.

Stuart
- cl