Re: gEDA-user: Linear voltregs: Symbol bugs or features?

> Stuart Brorson wrote:
> > I am one of the folks who thinks that component symbols should not
> > have hidden pin connections.  Indeed, this problem is really acute
> > when the symbols live in a library, since newbies won't know that the
> > pin is connected to GND unless they open up the symbol and look at the
> > attributes.

> As long as you do standard stuff, for example a uC circuit w/
> +5V and GND only, everything is fine.

Heh.  You've illustrated my point very well.  +5V logic supplies
havn't been "standard" for a number of years.  Logic supply
voltages are all over the place now.  +3.3V is arguably more common
than +5V logic (for commercial-grade designs), and +2.5, 1.8V, and
1.5V are also seen.  Therefore, I don't favor "out of the box" symbols
to have hidden +5V supplies.

> If there would be all those
> power supply pins, IMHO it would be a real mess.

Granted, it is a mess.  Therefore, I prefer to let experts draw their
own symbols with the power net connections embedded, if that's what
it takes to clean up the mess.  But I don't think that the "out of the
box" symbols should have hidden power -- or GND -- connections.  It's
just too easy for the unaware to get bitten by this.

Stuart