Re: gEDA-user: Footprint for test points?

On Sun, Sep 16, 2007 at 08:11:40PM -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:

> > Seems a trivial thing, but what do you all use as a footprint for test
> > points on the board?
>
> I usually just add vias wherever I need one; mine aren't "official" in
> that they're not in the schematics.

Except when you have your boards fabbed with soldermask, vias end up
covered.  My smaller vias are often plugged up with mask, though
larger ones do usually end up as holes, but the annular ring is
still covered.  Either way, it's hard to get a solid connection to it
with a test probe.

> > and how do I make a circular SMT pad?
>
> Create a line.  Drag one end to overlap the other, creating a
> zero-length line.  Cut to the buffer and convert to an element.  Poof!
> Circular pad.

Right, I knew this, as I use this trick to make silkscreen dots.  I
should have guess it would work for pads too.

Thanks.

--
Randall