Re: gEDA-user: PCB layout for identical units?

On 9/21/07, Stefan Salewski <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am designing a device which has two identical units, like the
> amplifiers in a stereo audio device. Other parts, like power supply
> exists only once.
>
> I think I can draw a schematics of one unit, make a copy, rename devices
> in that copy and have both units. (The other common parts are contained
> in separate schematics.)
>
> If I now use gsch2pcb to generate the initial pcb board, then I have to
> do the layout for each of the two identical units.
>
> Is there a way to do the layout for only one unit, then copy this part,
> rename components and have both units?
>
> Best regards
>
> Stefan Salewski

I have a Perl script that I use to create matrices of schematics and
corresponding PCB layouts. The steps are ---

1. create a schematic and corresponding PCB layout for the circuit
    to be duplicated.
2. create a configuration file that defines the number and position
    of the schematic copies.
3. create a configuration file that defined the number and position
    of the PCB copies
4. run the schematic matrix script and the pcb matrix script to create
    the layouts.

Component renaming is done by the scripts. The documentation at
http://www.luciani.org/geda/util/util-index.html#matrix
has an example that shows how to create a multi-cell electronic load from
a single load cell.

(* jcl *)

--
http://www.luciani.org