Re: gEDA-user: gEDA 1.2.0, opamp-1.sym pin numbers?

Peter Clifton wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-09-22 at 20:35 +0200, Stefan Salewski wrote:
>> I think that opamp-1.sym will not be compatible with SOT23-5 footprints
>> -- in TI datasheet of OPA656 pin 1 is output for SOT23 package. Maybe
>> opamp-1.sym is compatible with SC70-5 configuration, which I have newer
>> seen.
>>
>> Or opamp-1.sym and opamp-2.sym are only abstract representations of an
>> OpAmp, without any relationship to a concrete footprint?
>>
>> In any case, there seems to be no symbol in gEDA related to an ordinary
>> OpAmp in DIP8 (or SO8) package.
>>
>> This may look very strange for new gEDA/pcb users.
>
> There are various "heavy" symbols, such as lm741-1.sym.
>
> It is a well known problem though, the mapping between a light symbol
> and a real package is not something which is easily solved.

which is why I'm in favor of a heavy symbol generator for op-amps like
the one I demonstrated for bipolar transistors.  You use a small set of
symbols and then have a text file which is essentially a spread sheet
that for each actual part number (the full vendor part number including
package code) you give the mapping from symbol pin to the footprint pin
# as well as list the actual footprint.  Its pretty simple, you don't
have to continually wonder if you have the right footprint or right
pinout, and you only have to maintain a small number of graphical
symbols.  Adding new part number is then a snap.

I'm more and more convinced it is the way to go.

-Dan