Re: gEDA-user: gEDA/gaf devel snapshot 1.5.4-20090830 - fedora test packages

On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 12:17 AM, Peter Clifton<pcjc2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello,

> Were the old rpms called "gEDA-gaf-...." ?

No the existing rpms were called as geda developers called them, that
is geda-gschem, geda-gnetlist etc.

> There have been no "official" Debian testing packages of 1.5.4 yet, but
> I'm hopeful that all .deb and .rpm packages can be named as similar as
> possible. This helps the gEDA developers and support community to say
> things like.. "You need to install the 'geda-...' package", and not
> worry about what distro they are using.
>
> 1. I don't believe .deb packages are allowed to have capitalisations in
> them, so I called my source package "geda-gaf", not "gEDA-gaf".

> 2. My personal gut feeling was that the debian _binary_ packages will
> probably retain their current names, (geda-gschem, geda-gattrib etc..),
> OR.. would be rolled into one uber-package. (geda-gaf) The former is how
> I rolled my PPA packages for Ubuntu testing.
>
> Whilst I have no say in either Ubuntu or Debian packaging, (nor any
> other distro for that matter), I'd reflect (and other gEDA developers
> will step in if I'm out of line...) that:
>
> The packages under the gEDA/gaf umbrella are canonically referred to as
> "geda-gschem", "geda-...", (as is used for the translation domains, .mo
> files, desktop icons etc..). Thus - I'd really prefer to see the
> generated binary packages called geda-*....rpm as well.

[note: I'm also talking about CentOS gEDA packages as well, since I
maintain them under the EPEL repository]

I support your call for consistency. As you said, Fedora opts what
upstream call it, with the exact capitalization. However, if upstream
recommends a different naming I can choose the latter.

I propose the following naming for the next stable release (for
packagers of various distributions). Please do give some input to
enhance it:

* Upstream developers name the next tarball "geda-gaf" with no
capitalization as debian seems to like small letters.

Hence whatever the distribution is, with less effort, packagers will
use the name "geda-gaf" as a meta package to install the complete geda
collection, e.g

yum install geda-gaf or ap-get install geda-gaf

* As for packagers: produce sub packages with the following naming :
  * libgeda
  * libgeda-devel or libgeda-dev
  * geda-gschem
  * geda-gnetlist
  * geda-gattrib
  * geda-utils
  * geda-gsymcheck
  * geda-docs (which also includes geda-examples as both aren't that
big together)

This maintains compatibility with the old geda packages and I'm sure
satisfies the packaging guidelines of most distributions.

cheers,
Chitlesh