Re: gEDA-user: PCB Renumber Was/Is Once Again

Mike Hansen wrote:
>    I brought up this topic a couple of years ago and left it for dead at
>    the time but now have the question again:
>
>    Is there a script that can be performed on a PCB design that will
>    renumber the components on the board in some spatial order(say
>    starting at the upper left hand corner of the board)?  It's easier to
>    troubleshoot a board when the components are numbered in a spatially
>    logical order.  And then once it's renumbered to be able to spit out a
>    Was/Is list so that you can back annotate with gschem?
>
>    Or looking at it from the other direction, can the renumber script on
>    gschem provide a log of the Was/Is component names so that I can
>    manually update PCB?
>
>    I'm trying not to have to renumber everything by hand.
>
>    Thanks!

PCB can renumber its elements spatially.

   :Renumber()

or

   :Renumber(logfile)

it will renumber, and generate a was/is log.  Then use pcb_backannotate
to back annotate that into your gschem schematics.  These two bits of
functionality were a Halloween trick or treat from 2006.  I'll let you
decide if they're a trick or a treat ;)

-Dan