Re: gEDA-user: Blind and buried vias?

Can we put an end to this thread?  How about this.  PCB is part of gEDA.
  I'm a developer for both.  It is not a part of gaf (gschem and
friends) but it is the most popular reason for using gaf.  You can argue
all you want about exactly how much a part of gEDA PCB is, but it is a
part.  Some times I work on gaf and PCB totally independently, some
times I literally have had one emacs open with gschem source code and
another with pcb source code.

Integration is not a bad thing but integration when done in a way that
precludes using the tools in a non-integrated matter is bad and as far
as I know *none* of the actual developers of any of the various tools
falling either directly under the gEDA umbrella or in its drip line are
proposing integration in ways that preclude the toolkit nature.  I also
don't think any of the actual developers need constant reminding of this.

I will say that there are some very powerful features that you simply
can't achieve without integration but that integration can, should, and
if we ever get that far, will be done in a more generic way.  For
example, at one point I had gschem schematic <-> pcb layout cross
probing working.  Click on a schematic instance and pcb selects the
corresponding layout instance.  Click on the layout instance and gschem
selects the schematic instance.  In fact that code still exists in pcb
and gschem as far as I know.  The only place where gschem knew about pcb
was via a single scheme file which was loaded at run time.  All of the
other code which was written to make this possible was totally generic
and is there to benefit whatever other tool flow is desired.

No matter how you slice it the largest user base of gschem is using it
for driving pcb and so it makes a lot of sense to talk about new
features in the context of pcb.  Did I need to use pcb when trying to
extend the scheme capabilities of gschem?  Of course not, but why not
use the vehicle that is likely to see the most use.  Besides which, this
is a volunteer project and developers are going to use the portions that
are useful to themselves as the vehicle.  It doesn't mean we don't care
about making sure the tools remain flexible.  I certainly don't speak
for all the gschem developers but I suspect that gschem would have died
long ago if it weren't for the pcb user base.  I would wager the break
down is probably 70% of gschem schematics are to drive pcb, 10% for
schematics for papers in school or journals, 15% for simulation, and 5%
for everything else.  Doesn't mean we don't care about the 5, doesn't
mean we need continual reminders of it either.

gaf could also benefit a lot from having the power needed to provide
tighter simulation integration too.  It is really nice to be able to
click and plot a node or back annotate dc node voltages or device
operating points on a schematic.  It doesn't need to be done in a way
that forces this work flow and again, no one who is actually writing
code for the various tools is proposing that.  What I have seen though
is numerous arguments of this type turning off some very capable people
and actually hurting the progress which is needed to build on the
toolkit nature of these tools.