Re: gEDA-user: Blind and buried vias?

On Sep 26, 2009, at 3:07 PM, spuzzdawg wrote:

>    Jon,
>    You seem to consistently bring up this argument and I really think
>    it's to the detriment of the list. I'm sure that by now,
> everyone on
>    this list is quite aware that in you're opinion, PCB is not part of
>    gEDA

Yes, pcb is not part of gEDA. It is a separate (older) development.

> and not a single question should ever be asked about it.

It would be nice if pcb had its own list, but I don't really mind
that either.

> I'm not
>    sure why it's apparently irrelevant that the accepted predominant
>    workflow is from gschem to pcb

So what? What are all those other back ends for? Aren't they important?

> or that pcb is a member project of the
>    geda project. If member projects and affiliated projects aren't
>    considered part of gEDA then I'm curious as to what you define
> as gEDA
>    and what topics you define as appropriate for this list.

The issue isn't what topics are appropriate. The issue is keeping the
interfaces clean and flexible. To do that, you have to remember what
the interfaces are.

The OP said:

> What's the current and planned state of support for blind and/or
> buried
> vias in the gEDA system?

That's like asking "what's the state of support for driving Phillips
head screws with a handsaw?".

>    It might sound a little harsh to say these things but I've noticed
>    that you do it quite often.

I have a thick skin.

> Anyone who brings up a point about how
>    geda/gaf/pcb could be more useful, more user friendly etc

More useful and friendly to *what kind* of user? The kind that would
prefer spending an hour mousing around to solve a problem once, or 15
minutes writing a script to solve it for all time?

> quickly gets
>    shot down by you with the same message, that gEDA is a toolkit, its
>    flexibility is its power and problems with pcb aren't problems with
>    geda.

The fact that the handsaw can't drive a screw isn't a problem with
the handsaw. Gluing a screwdriver to it would not be an improvement.
But a handsaw and a screwdriver can work effectively together, just
like gEDA and pcb.

> You use the line about gEDA being a toolkit to justify any of
>    its shortcoming despite the fact that gEDA itself doesn't even
>    consider itself this way. From the website:
>    "Currently, the gEDA project offers a mature suite of free software
>    applications for electronics design, including schematic capture,
>    attribute management, bill of materials (BOM) generation,
> netlisting
>    into over 20 netlist formats, analog and digital simulation, and
>    printed circuit board (PCB) layout."

I don't know who wrote that. gEDA and PCB are separate, independently
developed projects. They have different source trees and conventions.
They were not originally designed for each other. That they play well
together is a testimony to the power of clean interface design. Let's
not forget that, because if we do we will lose that power.

>    My point is that your one man war gEDA terminology doesn't help
>    anyone.

I disagree. The abuse of terminology here is dangerous, because it
encourages the delusion that gEDA and pcb would be better if they
were more integrated. Integrated tools may be easier to use in some
sense, but they don't have gEDA's productivity potential.

> It serves only to distract meaningful discussions about gEDA's
>    shortcomings and ways in which it could be improved as well as
>    preventing posters from actually getting their questions answered.

The discussions of gEDA's shortcomings here are disturbingly short-
sighted.

People want prefabricated heavy symbols in a library, not considering
how massive the problem is. Too many variables. What we need is an
easier way to customize symbols for a particular project. And perhaps
better BOM post-processing support, so the user can say "I want to
use footprint xxx and vendor part number yyy for all 100nF X5R
capacitors in this project". gattrib is a nice tool for quick "touch
up", but not productive when you have hundreds of footprints to change.

The biggest hole in the gEDA documentation concerns the scripting
that gschem/gnetlist can do using Scheme. There's no real API
documentation here, so few are aware of the latent power here, and
even fewer know how to harness it.

We need to refactor gnetlist: the fact that the front end hides
critical information from the scripted layers causes problems and
prevents back end development in some directions. But the proposed
solution to the most prominent of these problems is to make the front
end more complex, and therefore make the needed refactoring harder.

And many who find "shortcomings" in gEDA don't want a toolkit. But
I'm extremely grateful that gEDA *isn't* a massive time-wasting
integrated point and click thing designed for sales rather than
sustained, efficient problem solving. I hope it stays that way.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx