gEDA-user: Color silk layers in pcb

   Dear fellow GEDA-users,
   Can I get pcb to either treat a layer other than the default silk as
   non-metal
   (so it would not short pads and mess up nets), or draw "different" silk
   layers
   as separate objects, in different colors?
   My problem is following:
   I have a case consisting of two haves, upper and lower. I'm in ecstasy,
   because
   I managed to transform the manufacturer's drawing to a pcb file using
   proper
   scale with pstoedit. Now I have to-scale drawing of both halves, and I
   was
   happily using different colors for them, having them on a different
   layers.
   I was able to hide either or both, until it became clear, that they are
   treated as metal, even when not visible, and are short-circuiting my
   signals,
   which is a pain. I moved them to the silk layer, but then I can not
   tell what
   is what.
   I also tried manualy editing the pcb file, and renamed the layers to
   silk,
   but it didn't help much.
   Is there an easy way (configuration) or just the hard way (code)?
   If only the hard, where does one start, and is it something on an order
   of
   horus, days or weeks?
   Thank you if you got that far, and in advance, for the answer.
   --
   Pawel Kusmierski