Re: gEDA-user: PCB format wishlist

On Mon, Sep 06, 2010 at 12:16:21PM -0600, John Doty wrote:

> On Sep 6, 2010, at 11:54 AM, Andrew Poelstra wrote:
>
> > But I'm worried that by dropping down to basically a vector
> > drawing, we're going too far.
>
> The difference isn't so much in the primitives, but the machinery of
> composition of those into higher level things. Consider gschem. At the
> GUI level it's basically a vector drawing program. But with some simple
> mechanisms to compose drawings of drawings (symbols, sources, etc) and
> establish relations between objects both locally (attachment) and globally
> (netname), it becomes a schematic capture program. An ordinary vector
> drawing program cannot do that job.

Okay, I see what you're saying.

So here's a new primitive list:

  1. Line
  2. Polygon
  3. Arc

Perhaps 1. and 2. should be merged (after all, a line is basically a
polygon with only 2 points), but there are might be logistical problems
with that.

Or, could we base everything off of lines, attach a 'curvature'
property to create arcs, and build polygons from that.

Andrew