Re: gEDA-user: PCB format wishlist

On Mon, Sep 06, 2010 at 10:27:25PM +0200, Levente Kovacs wrote:

> I prefer
>
>   line,
>   polygon,
>   circle,
>   arc.
>
> Why arc and circle are not merged? Because the diameter of the arc is the
> center of the bent line; however, the diameter of a circle is the edge.

I don't understand this. If we generalize circles to ellipses, they can
be described by a center point, and major/minor axis lengths.

For an arc, add a sweep attribute and set it to 90 degrees.

> And of course we have to implement padstacks at the footprint level.

I also don't see why footprints and PCBs need to be distinct. Anything
should be able to be designated as a pad, regardless of whether it is
part of a footprint, or group, or sub-PCB.

Andrew