Re: gEDA-user: next PCB release - 1.99za vs 4.0

On Thu, Sep 09, 2010 at 11:41:56AM +0200, Frank Bergmann wrote:
> On 09.09.2010 02:46, Andrew Poelstra wrote:
> >Well, I am converting the top-level window to its own widget, rather than
> >using a stock GtkWindow and tacking stuff onto it. That way I can migrate
> >a lot of the global variables to member variables, pass more things as
> >parameters, and use the 'const' keyword a lot more.
>
> Is it really necessary? I believe most GTK-apps use the ordinary
> way. If you create its own widget you make it more complicated to
> (potential new) developers not so familiar with this technique.

This is how Firefox does things (though to be fair, Firefox has a number
of GUI toolkits to support across its operating systems) and it seems to
be working for them.

I'm not saying this is the best way, but it's much more common than this
list seems to think.

> Did you take a look at g_object_get_data/g_object_set_data (http://library.gnome.org/devel/gobject/stable/gobject-The-Base-Object-Type.html#g-object-get-data)?
> Maybe this can help putting some of the global variables in the main
> window.

I think we'd be better off using straight C structures, or gobjects. That
would be much clearer to newbies, and would be easier for the compiler to
help us with const correctness, etc.

Andrew