Re: gEDA-user: Unusual uses of gEDA...

   On Sep 10, 2010, at 8:28 AM, John Griessen wrote:

   The black on white rules and logo look great Windell.
   I like the idea of an engraver for it -- then it could do promotional
   doo-dads and
   trophies for club events...

   The engraver is pretty neat-- it can make, for example, etched glass
   christmas ornaments. Here's one that we made at MakerFaire Detroit:
   [1]http://www.flickr.com/photos/lenore-m/4856324866/in/photostream/
   The photo shows  a dull-silver-painted glass ornament, engraved down to
   etched glass, and lit from within by a multicolor LED.
   I'm not sure that it's precise enough for trophies, but I bet there
   will be a lot of ornaments sent to gramma. :)

   I don't see any big unprinted areas

   In this photo, you can see a big square on the lower left piece and a
   big rectangle on the second piece from the top:
   [2]http://www.flickr.com/photos/oskay/4970320961/
   If you look closely, you'll see that those two areas are not black ink
   but are silver colored: those are large mask-free areas that are HASL
   finished.   The motors screw down to those two locations-- one fixed,
   the other slotted so that it can go to different positions .  Without
   the mask, there's a good metal-to-metal thermal connection between the
   motor and the top copper.  Those two boards have a copper flood going
   all the way to 20 mil from the board edges, which acts as a
   surprisingly effective heat sink for the motors.

   Was the printing done as white "soldermask" and black "silk layer"?
   On FR-4, acrylic?  The board material looks almost clear.

   Yes, it's white mask and black silk on 100 mil FR-4.  There's actually
   printing on both sides, so you'd see some of that if it were clear.
   The white mask is quite opaque. You can see the board edges somewhat in
   this photo, where the FR-4 has its usual translucency:

   [3]http://www.flickr.com/photos/oskay/4970933180/in/photostream/

   We did some of our mechanical prototyping in 3 mm laser-cut acrylic.
   It's almost shocking how much stronger the FR-4 is.