Re: gEDA-user: Unusual uses of gEDA...

On Sep 10, 2010, at 10:10 AM, John Griessen wrote:

> So, if the engraver vibration is too fuzzy, how about adding force feedback control
> and a rotary tool?  The force feedback would let you hold up the weight of the rotary
> tool, and probably help pickup and touch down at the same spots too.
>
> Does the eibot board have some spare inputs for feedback?

Interesting idea.  We have used rotary tools with success, but they cost *a lot more,* and they're bulky and weigh a lot-- a little challenging for our motors without careful balance.  The nicest results were with an air-powered dental drill.  Adding force feedback would be possible, but also adds cost.  Probably the best way to improve precision is just to increase the stiffness of the flexure hinge, meaning that there's less motion in undesirable degrees of freedom.