Re: gEDA-user: next PCB release - 1.99za vs 4.0

On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 01:57:32PM -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:

> I meant ONE silk layer printed on BOTH sides of the pcb.  Much like
> fabs often have an option for "same mask both sides" - one layer, used
> twice.

Okay, I see what you're gettting at here with "same layer, multiple
physical layers". And I also see the benefit of having a many-to-many
mapping between drawing layers and physical layers, rather than a
tree structure.

Now, how is the relationship between drawing layers and physical layers
going to be shown to the user?

I think dual-color traces would be nice. (That is, have the main color
correspond to the physical layer, with a stripe on the left side (say)
corresponding to the drawing layer.)

What will the layer-selector look like? How will the user edit drawing
layers? How about physical layers? I take it that only physical layers
will have a "stacking order", and drawing layers will be mapped to one
or more of these?

Also, will we require one of both "top" and "bottom" physical layers,
to ease footprint mapping? What happens when these physical layers have
no drawing layers mapped to them? If they have more than one drawing
layer mapped to them?

Andrew