Re: gEDA-user: next PCB release - 1.99za vs 4.0

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 10:16:13PM -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:

> I don't think we're ready for code yet :-)

Fair enough :) I just felt English was a bad language for
describing my understanding.

> Besides, I was hoping to switch to C++ before doing any major internal
> changes.  Then, a composite is just a container of objects, one of
> which may be itself a composite, but might include drills, drawing
> layers, etc.

That makes sense. Perhaps physical layers should inherit from composites,
then there would be no need for an either/or configuration.

In either case, I have a problem: how do thicknesses inherit?

Suppose I have a composite structure:

C1
 |--C2
 |   \--Top Layer
 |   \--Mid Layer
 |--C3
     \--Bottom Layer

C2 and C3 is set to thickness 1mm.
C1 is set to thickness 5mm.

There is a discrepancy! How should we resolve this?

Andrew