Re: gEDA-user: Zero length pins

John Doty wrote:

>>> Unattached, it looks like a little red flag, while with a net
>>> attached it disappears. Gnetlist has no trouble treating it as
>>> a pin.

By the way, on start-up, gschem complains about zero size pins in the
log window. IMHO, this check should be removed.

> You have my permission, although I am queasy about how the
> documentation is evolving.

The part of the "wiki" I added the note to, i Same with the chinese
characters.
s not the documentation. It is meant to complement the documentation.
The "FAQ" works more like a knowledge base than like a manual.

> One of the things that attracted me to gEDA years ago was how
> clean and concise the documentation was.

Coincidently, some of the my most frustrating experiences with geda/pcb
were due to a lack of readily available documentation ;-)

> Works fine with UTF-8 characters, although I don't know how to
> make it work right to left or top to bottom.

Well, Hebrew left to right is like Latin script written backwards.
Also, try to make auto number use Japanese digits...

>> Multi line text cannot be
>> centered or flushed to the right.
>
> Fancy word processing features should not be included in a
> schematic drawing program. They are a distraction.

Text alignment is hardly fancy word processing. Decent looking comments
are a requirement when it comes to incorporate a schematic in public
documents. Think PHD thesis, presentations, manuals, proposals...

> Support for unusual graphics does not belong in gschem. They
> can be imported in the rare cases they are needed.

A company logo is not exactly a rare case. Also, publication quality
symbols are more like fonts than like stick drawings.

> Well, I just drew the following, which would claim is impossible:

Well, an imported pixel format does not exactly fit to the workflow of
an otherwise completely vectorized suite. For example, printing to PDF
via cups-pdf barfs on PNGs.

Real flexibility would allow to include vector graphics and/or a way to
do formulas. The way xfig incorporates LaTeX may be worth a closer
look.

---<)kaimartin(>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak