Re: gEDA-user: Strange user interface behavior with gschem-1.6.2.20110115

Josef Wolf wrote:

> In the attached schmatic, when I try to draw a net from U6-pin27 to
> the gate of Q6, a little circle appears on the nearest pin,
> indicating where the connection would be "autocompleted" to. But even
> if the circle appears at the gate of Q6, at the moment I click to
> make the connection, it jumps to the gate of Q4, effectively
> shortening pin1 with pin28 of U6.

The autocompletion does not avoid other net leines like an auto router
would. It just acts like gschem would if you clicked the marked point
manually. In this case, it starts a net line at pin 26, draws to the
right until it is below the sensitive point of the gate of Q6. Then it
would continue to draw teh net vertically up to the gate. But wait!
There is already a net at the corner of this net -- the net that connects
pin 28 with the gate of Q4. A general rule for nets in gschem is: "If
the endpoint of a segment hits another net, these two will be connected."
So the line starting from pin 26 happily connects to the line starting
at pin 28.

> I have not seen such behavior before. In fact, I have not seen such
> an autocompletion-circle before. Is this some new functionality?

Fairly new. It has been in git-head some time. Rleases intervalls are
qite large with geda.

> Is
> there a way to deactivate it? Or at least configure it to behave in a
> sane way?

IMHO, it already behaves in a sane way. You just have to realize,
that it is not an autorouter, but a mouse click prediction facility.
(Auto routing for nets would be a great, nerdy feature :-)

---<)kaimartin(>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak
Email: kmk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx