Re: gEDA-user: Strange user interface behavior with gschem-1.6.2.20110115

On Tue, 6 Sep 2011 12:59:39 +0200
Josef Wolf <jw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 05, 2011 at 09:13:06PM +0200, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
> > > IMHO, this works against user expectation. After all, the whole
> > > point of the circle is to signal the user where the connection
> > > would be done. Connecting to anything other is not exactly what
> > > the user would expect.
> > > From the perspective of the user it is totally irrelevant
> > > what algorithm is used internally.
> >
> > But it is relevant to know, what this mode is intended for --
> > magnetic- mode, not auto-complete. I am sure, you got the point
> > now :-)
>
> I don't care how it is called as long as it connects to the wrong
> destination. Oh, I already wrote this above ;-)

+1
I have recently started to like the gschem Magnetic Net mode, now that
I learned to use Ctrl-click to put explicit intermediate points in the
lines instead of just clicking the two endpoints and letting gschem
route the line.

But this annoying problem you have encountered, where clicking causes
the line to connect SOMEWHERE OTHER THAN WHERE THE CIRCLE WAS SHOWN is
extremely irritating.  To reduce the impact of this issue, you
can manually place a number or intermediate points so that the final
âmagneticâ action to the target pin has a shorter distance to go.

Regards,
Colin