Re: gEDA-user: CERN goes for KiCAD

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 13:16:23 +0200
RubÃn GÃmez Antolà <lobo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Is something how Kde us Gnome?
>
> Because after of years of desktop wars, both proyects colaborate in base
> (freedesktop) and expand his own style.
>
> There are something to learn in our own free software history?

That's a good point.  Where could things be best shared between
KiCad and gEDA?

While it would be nice to share a common schematic/PCB layout file
format, that seems difficult given the different approaches taken
by both tools.

My initial thought is that the biggest value-to-effort ratio would
be from being able realized by being able to share symbols and
footprints between the tools.  Of course even this has some serious
difficulties: consider all the special attributes and such required
for proper gschem symbols.  Perhaps gschem's format is detailed
enough that KiCad symbol information could be inferred from it.
Footprints might be simpler to share since there seem to be fewer
tool-specific details needed (just defining copper areas/pads,
pins/holes, solder mask and paste, silk screen lines).

Regards,
Colin