Re: gEDA-user: CERN goes for KiCAD

Hi all,

Footprint editor ?

https://github.com/bert/fped

Fped lives in Ubuntu and Fedora, and maybe other distros, with support for
KiCAD users.

Anyone interested in a parametric footprint editor with support for pcb ?

Just clone, add code and stuff, and send patches to here.

This way we can have common files for interoptable footprints.

> While it would be nice to share a common schematic/PCB layout
> file format, that seems difficult given the different
> approaches taken by both tools.
>
> My initial thought is that the biggest value-to-effort ratio
> would be from being able realized by being able to share
> symbols and footprints between the tools.  Of course even
> this has some serious
> difficulties: consider all the special attributes and such
> required for proper gschem symbols.  Perhaps gschem's format
> is detailed enough that KiCad symbol information could be
> inferred from it.
> Footprints might be simpler to share since there seem to be
> fewer tool-specific details needed (just defining copper
> areas/pads, pins/holes, solder mask and paste, silk screen lines).
>
> Regards,
> Colin

Kind regards,

Bert Timmerman.