Re: gEDA-user: CERN goes for KiCAD

Hello:

El 12/09/11 18:42, Colin D Bennett escribiÃ:
On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 13:16:23 +0200
RubÃn GÃmez AntolÃ<lobo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

Is something how Kde us Gnome?

Because after of years of desktop wars, both proyects colaborate in base
(freedesktop) and expand his own style.

There are something to learn in our own free software history?

That's a good point.  Where could things be best shared between
KiCad and gEDA?

While it would be nice to share a common schematic/PCB layout file
format, that seems difficult given the different approaches taken
by both tools.

My initial thought is that the biggest value-to-effort ratio would
be from being able realized by being able to share symbols and
footprints between the tools.  Of course even this has some serious
difficulties: consider all the special attributes and such required
for proper gschem symbols.  Perhaps gschem's format is detailed
enough that KiCad symbol information could be inferred from it.
Footprints might be simpler to share since there seem to be fewer
tool-specific details needed (just defining copper areas/pads,
pins/holes, solder mask and paste, silk screen lines).

Sure.

Start with a common schematic/PCB layout file format or work in a export/import tool is a excelent idea.

After this, what about these "basic" library from Kai Martin? I suppossed that Kicad people wants a "basic" library too.

I'm not a developer but I suspect that there are some "tools" too, like a good autorouter, that both apps can "call".

These are the "base", beyond each app can run his own way.

Perhaps, someone of the gEDA developer should contact with Kicad developers? Maybe we discover that Kicad people wants to earn that we say. In other way, what we lost?

Regards,
Colin

Best regards.

Salud y RevoluciÃn.

Lobo.
--
Libertad es poder elegir en cualquier momento. Ahora yo elijo GNU/Linux,
para no atar mis manos con las cadenas del soft propietario.