Re: [gftp] Problem with gftp

On Thu, 3 Jul 2008, Brad Rogers wrote:

Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 10:05:23 +0100
From: Brad Rogers <brad@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: gftp-users@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [gftp] Problem with gftp

On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 16:44:28 +0800 (WST)
Bret Busby <bret@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Bret,

firstly, what is the difference between the 227 and the 229 codes,

227 is "entering passive mode".  Numbers in parentheses after a 227
indicate IP address and TCP port (h1,h2,h3,h4,p1,p2)

229 is "entering extended passive mode".  Numbers in parentheses after
a 229 indicate the port number being used, as no IP address is required.

EPSV (229) isn't documented widely on the web, but there are plenty of
sites with a breakdown of the codes and how they're structured.

Well, I have now solved the problem, and I am not happy with either the cause of the problem, or the solution.

The ISP that provides the web site hosting, apparently made changes to their FTP server(s) that now require Extended Passive Mode, and reject Passive Mode, and I have now been able to resume graphical FTP access, by downloading, installing, and using KFTPGrabber, as gftp uses Passive Mode and not Extended Passive Mode.

Being an Australian ISP, the change was made without either notice that the change would be made, or notice that the change had been made, and the effects on customers.

As I have said, I am not happy with either the cause of the problem, or the solution.

I had in the past, been quite happy using gftp, and I can no longer use it for my web sites.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."