Re: [gftp] Problem with gftp

On Thu, 3 Jul 2008, Brad Rogers wrote:

It is good to know that it's not the fault of gFTP.

Well, I believe that it is not the fault of gftp.

However, there are two different aspects to this.

The first, is that the ISP support person with whom I have been in contact, apparently cannot replicate the problem, yet I have on different Linux distributions, using different FTP clients (including both Debian Linux and Ubuntu 8.04 - the latest version of Ubuntu).

The second aspect is this; if the problem occurs when using passive mode (well, for me, anyway - the ISP has told me that I am apparently the only customer with the problem), and is overcome when using Extended Passive Mode, the question then arises; what is the prospect of gftp being enhanced/modified/upgraded to use Extended Passive Mode? I note that, as I had previously stated, in response to the suggested solution of turning off Passive Mode, as the information provided by gftp, and, from other sources, advises that Passive Mode is required when an FTP client is behind a firewall, Passive Mode (or, in this case, Extended Passive Mode) is required to be used.

In searching for Extended Passive Mode, using google, I found the entries at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Transfer_Protocol (and thence, using the link for RFC2428, at http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2428 ) , http://www.askdavetaylor.com/why_do_my_ftp_transfers_all_freeze_up.html (which refers to using the command epsv during an ftp session that involves rejection of Passive Mode (PM); the epsv replacing pasv, in the definition of Extended Passive Mode (EPM) (the former in EPM, the latter in PM), and http://www.networksorcery.com/enp/rfc/rfc2428.txt , as a couple out of about 6000 results for the search.

Also, http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/OLD/ftpext-charter.html

As RFC2428 is dated September 1998, almost ten years ago, and the web page at http://www.gftp.org/ , states that the latest stable version of gftp is "2.0.18 (2/4/2005)", I am wondering whether it might be time for gftp to be updated, to implement Extended Passive Mode (so I can stop having to use KFTPGrabber, and go back to using gftp, and so that others can avoid the same problem).

I am interested in seeing the response to the second aspect and suggestion.

Thank you in anticipation.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale