Re: Knowledge Base (was Re: VI, standards, politics and all that)

On Tue, 10 Aug 1999, Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> ONe thing I was thinking of is the fact that perl DB-FIle  can use B-Tree
> structures ( ie fast queries ) but this would make implementation somewhat
> tougher. Probably better to stick with glimpse for now.

I don't know... having looked at the glimpse code I'm not so sure I want to
use it. ;)

Even so I will have a play over the next few days (I'll be away until
Saturday) and see what happens. In the meantime `lkb', this project, is at
version 0.0.1 at http://www.cus.umist.ac.uk/~ivarch/linux/lkb/ - the GTK+ UI
is working but of course does nothing as yet.

> But we could extend and do more things with a browser interface.

True. I suppose it's a case of juggling between ease of installation and
ease of programming.

> Perhaps using thttpd ( very lightweight ), and running it out of inetd (
> so we can block outside access in hosts.deny ) on a different port ( ie
> not 80 ) would be the right move. We probably don't need to write a new
> server though, because there are already several that are both light and
> very good.

I've just downloaded thttpd and will have a look at it soon. Thanks for the
pointer. Running it off inetd might cause it to be more trouble to install,
though (I don't know how well RPMs handle things like this?)

Is it worth creating a separate mailing list for discussion of this Linux
Knowledge Base project, do you think?

- Andrew