Re: [Fwd: [Fwd: News and miscellanea]]

   Here's a reaction of Dan Ingalls, Squeak Central.

   Greets,

   Stefan

   Dan Ingalls wrote:

   > Stefan -
   >
   > >I was hoping to hear more from you about the Squeak for the
Independence
   > >Linux distribution. Is SqC still on it?
   >
   > Oops.  Yes, absolutely.  It depends what you mean by "on it".  We
now have what   > I would characterize as an adequately stable 2.7
release.  However, I'm not a
  > Linux user, so I don't know about that package.  I will see if I can
get
  >  someone on the list to collect the things you need.

I have uploaded the fixed src.rpm but still not the fixed rpm.  I
think you have one available with a slight bug (it tries
unsuccessfully to chown files to jfm).  We neeedc a Linux + Squeak guy
to add goodies and solving the menu problem.

   > >About Squeak I would like someone in the Squeak group add
tutorials
   > >and goodies to the basic RPM I have made.  I have heard of
something
   > >called wonderland (read the chapter 7 of
   > >http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~mark.guzdial/drafts/ ) who seems to run
on
   > >top of squeak and it would nice to include with squeak if it is
not
   > >unordinately big).  My top for squeak and assorted goodies would
be 10
   > >megs but I would relax it a bit for wonderland.
   >
   > Wonderland is included in the Squeak release, and it all runs in
10M.  There are various ways to make up small Squeaks that will run in
little over 1M.  The files (not incl documentation or tutorials -- but
don't worry, there isn't much ;-) on disk are a little over 20M, that
compresses to about 6M.

My limit was 10 megs of CD (ie compressed) space because that is the
space it will take on CD and this space is limited.

--
		Jean François Martinez

Project Independence: Linux for the masses
http://independence.seul.org