Re: Logging inaccuracies (Mea Culpa)

On Wednesday 25 April 2001 12:30, Alexey Rodriguez Yakushev wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 April 2001 11:12, Alexey Rodriguez Yakushev wrote:
> >   Hi, i have left running three monitoring facilities for one interface
> > three days ago.
> >   The detailed statistics tell me that there have been 929700K bytes of
> > traffic for that interface using the TCP protocol. However the protocol
> > statistics tell me (summing the bytes for all TCP services) that the
> > bytes for TCP services hardly reach 200Mb. How could that possibly
> > happen?
>
>   I think i have found the reason, it seems the protocol statistics for
> TCP/UDP services collects information only for known ports. Note that i am
> speculating i am still trying to figure out what is wrong. Help is very
> welcome.

  I should have RTMF first :) . I need to see additional ports for traffic.
How can i see the ports for ftp connections (passive ones) for example. I do
not want to add every possible port :) . What is the problem if iptraf showed
every port. I hope someone can help. Thanks.

> >   Another problem, the statistics file for protocol monitoring is
> > reversed. The outgoing bytes and packets are in fact the incoming
> > bytes/packets, the same applies to the incoming bytes/packets. I know
> > this because of the ncurses display and i know my traffic patterns. I
> > think this is a known issue, i hope :) .

  This problems still remains.