Re: [kidsgames] kids programs

On 09-Dec-1999 segfault@hardline.org wrote:
> Steve Baker wrote:
>>
>> segfault@hardline.org wrote:
>> >
>> > Ahh, excellent.. nice to see someone else is coding as well :) Yes,
>> > actually.. I'm working on an Interactive Storybook program with book
>> > authoring tools (using GTK). It's basically a glorified picture book
>> > with little sprites that animate when you click them, and a bit of
>> > sound. Text shows in the bottom 1/3 (roughly) of the window, picture in
>> > the top half.
>> >
>> > Current status is available at http://hardline.org/ for the curious :)
>>
>> Cool!  That's the kind of basic application we need.
>>
>> One of the cool things that some of those things do is to highlight
>> the words on the screen as the audio reads them out.
>
> Well.. I hadn't planned on text-to-speech in version 1.0, but it's
> certainly worth investigating. Anyone know of a good open source text to
> speech engine; preferably one that doesn't require phonetic spelling or
> anything?

I've toyed with festival before, if you get the big dictionaries for it, it's
pretty impressive. I just wish they had cooler phoneme sets :) I don't want my
box to talk with a british or canadian accent... :)

        -Erik <br0ke@math.smsu.edu> [http://math.smsu.edu/~br0ke]

The opinions expressed by me are not necessarily opinions. In all
probability, they are random rambling, and to be ignored. Failure to ignore
may result in severe boredom or confusion. Shake well before opening. Keep
Refrigerated.

-
kidgames@smluc.org  -- To get off this list send "unsubscribe" in the
body of a message to majordomo@smluc.org