Re: FW: [kidsgames] word familiarity

Hi Ben,

On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, Ben Armstrong wrote:

-->Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 15:52:11 +0000 (GMT)
-->From: Ben Armstrong <synrg@sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca>
-->To: Kidsgames <kidsgames@smluc.org>
-->Subject: Re: FW: [kidsgames] word familiarity
-->
-->On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, Brian Thompson wrote:
-->> I have been working on a database, very basic so far, but its a start.  It
-->> is in StarBase, I am hoping that it will be intercompatible with MySQL soon,
-->> I am a visual freak so it was quick, and easy.
-->
-->Brian,
-->
-->Why not PostgresSQL?

The obvious reason being that he has Starbase handy and it appears to
work for him and postgres doesn't :)

-->  It's completely DFSG (Debian Free Software
-->Guidelines) free.

Yahoo!

-->  MySQL is not.  It appears that the maintainers of MySQL
-->have confused the issue by releasing two minor versions back under the GPL
-->but keeping the current release non-free, giving lip-service only to open
-->source.

I would not characterize mySql's release of two minor revisions back as
"lip-service-only", they have actually RELEASED CODE under GPL, this is
more than I can say for ORACLE, Informix, or Sun.

-->  This is reason enough, I think, to choose Postgres.

It occurs to me that the database will probably end up either in multiple
formats or with the ability to be dumped into multiple different backends,
but that is a technicality to deal with later.

I agree with Ben in that I think Starbase is a poor overall choice due to
it NOT being an OPEN format.  However Ben can you tell Brian how to use
Postgress as easily as he is using Starbase?

--
Jeff Waddell
jeff@smluc.org

Kids Games Project Coordinator