RE: [kidsgames] Word database

Hello Brian,

On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, Brian Thompson wrote:

-->Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 12:22:24 -0500
-->From: Brian Thompson <briandthompson@home.com>
-->To: Doug Loss <dloss@suscom.net>, kidsgames@smluc.org
-->Subject: RE: [kidsgames] Word database
-->
-->Doug and all,
-->     I have a very basic database started I am still working on the
-->structure.

GREAT!!!!

-->  Quite a few ideas but am really still just working on the
-->structure, research and learning to use Starbase.

I must suggested that if you are going to be investing a lot of time in
learning a tool to do this that you choose a tool that is open... Starbase
while free (as in beer) is not free (as in freedom) as far as I know.

-->I am looking for
-->suggestions, but for the moment since its still just structural/usability
-->issues I think I'll file suggestions until the structure is defined a little
-->better.

I posted a file structure a long time ago, and assume you have modified it
heavily, it would be good to see what you have now as a structure, could
you post just the structure for comment?

-->  I chose Starbase for the multiplatform, cheap, friendly atmosphere,
-->but really I need a book.

See above comment.

-->  I will post updates as I can.  I have basic
-->fields and am trying to best relate and weave them so that the will have a
-->true META usability.

Have you looked at the meta dictionary thingie that Ben mentioned?

-->  Where to break the fields into tables, how to format
-->each field, and the linking for sounds and pictures is where I'm at right
-->now ideas are popping into my head daily so hopfully I will have a good
-->structure in a month and will post it then.

A structure that is known not to be the finally structure that we can all
comment might be better to have sooner.  (Release early, release often :)

-->  The task of entering the words
-->will be much more monumental and I think who ever said that the users of the
-->base would enter the words as they need to use them in programs had the
-->right idea, but I would like to have a start before we started developing.

I believe I said that.  What we can have in place is an API for talking to
this database... I *think* it's possible to have the API such that
developer's can start targetting it with the expectation that the backend
(behind the API, not the API itself) can and will change to make things
better, faster, whatever, but that the API will remain fixed so that their
programs won't break when those better faster things happen...Of course
this REQUIRES that we think through the API EXTREMELY carefully, and never
break it, we can added to it but, taking away becomes a nono....

I've been entertaining the Idea of using LDAP for this, but I just don't
know....  Anyone else know what LDAP is?

-->I think there are a few things I'm really going to need help with are: a
-->recording mechanism, maybe one that can be used from inside of forms for
-->enter the data, what is a good format, mp3 wav...

I personally like .au (Sun audio format, but I'm not sure the status of
that format)

I can't recommend (even though I'd like to) .mp3 or .wav because they have
patent issues.

--> Another thing is the
-->image files format? pcx png gif????

I recommend AGAINST gif due to the Unisys patent fiasco.  PNG should be
great, and if somebody submits a gif, it can't be too hard to pull it into
the gimp and resave it as .png before it is made globally avabilable can
it?

--> What else?? I want it to act as a
-->resource for developers but if its usable enough we could develop an engine
-->that would incorporate the structure and be a quick development tool for
-->teacher/parents.
-->

Explain what you mean here further?  I think I got it, but I'm not
sure....

--
Jeff Waddell
jeff@smluc.org