Re: [kidsgames] Word database

Kidsgames Project Coordinator - Jeff Waddell wrote:

> -->* VRML for 3D models and animations.
>
> How "stable" is vrml...

Very. There are in fact two versions VRML and VRML-97.
VRML was put together in something of a rush in order to
head off some Microsoft quasi-standard or other. It's
essentially the ASCII version of the SGI 'Inventor'
file format.   VRML didn't really sweep the web because
it's really a solution looking for a problem.

VRML-97 was an attempt to extend VRML to make it more
than just a description of a 3D geometry - but to add
'behaviours' to objects.  This theoretically lets your
3D scene act out little scenes without the need for
external software.

VRML-97 is even less popular than VRML - but it's not
a bad standard.

Both VRML and VRML-97 are extremely stable.

Yes - it's http://www.vrml.org in fact :-)

> -->* XML for the overall database structure.
> -->
>
> Same question as above.  I'm real shaky on what XML is and does for us, I
> know seul-edu is working VERY hard on EDU-ML and I want us to use that as
> much as is feasible, but as yet I really don't know much about either XML
> or how EDU-ML relates to it.

XML is basically just a way to describe a database using HTML-like
tags:  <SOMETHING> stuff </SOMETHING>

I don't know anything about EDU-ML - and I'm not by any means an expert
in XML either.

--
Steve Baker                  http://web2.airmail.net/sjbaker1
sjbaker1@airmail.net (home)  http://www.woodsoup.org/~sbaker