Re: [kidsgames] Just Subscribed.

Kidsgames Project Coordinator - Jeff Waddell wrote:

> ...is there a repository for 3d objects out there
> somewhere?

There are several - but the spread of objects tends to be poor.
http://www.3dcafe.com has links to quite a few

> For any game, so not having tools in place to help with that task, means
> the people who MIGHT have the talent to do level design a pretty much left
> out because it's too hard to actually "build" the level for most games
> even if you KNOW what you want to do (not I you may have a perfectly
> wonderful level editor for Tux_AQFH, I still don't have 3d
> hardware)

Well, I'm working on 'PrettyPoly' - which is a 3D model editor/builder
that'll work well with Tux and other similar games.

   http://prettypoly.sourceforge.net

> Ok, of the people with 3d hardware that played the game [as opposed to
> those who downloaded it just to say they had it], what would they have to
> actually DO to make a level, and what would motivate them to do so?  Also,
> if they did make a level, is there a significant reason for them to return
> the level to you or would they just exchange it with their friends?

There are instructions in with the game to make a level.  Most of the
work is in designing the 3D objects.

> Steve, have you seen xcruise?

No I hadn't - I'll have to play with it some.

> It's not a game, but it is a very
> interesting view of one's file system, I would like to know how hard it
> would be to base a file manager off that concept shown in xcruise using
> PLIB?  One of my dreams is to have a fully 3d working environment (someday
> in the far future probably...)

Kindof like the 3D file system on the computer at the end of "Jurassic Park"?

I'm really not convinced that they actually buy you much in terms of
productivity or anything...but they can be a lot of fun.

Did you hear about the program (based on Doom I think) that maps your
Linux processes into creatures in the game, large ones for processes
consuming a lot of resources, tiny little ones for processes that
aren't consuming many resources.  Processes at high process priority
run faster (erm - because they really do run faster :-).  You can
literally kill processes by shooting them with different ammo for
different kill signals.

Pretty silly actually - but a lot more fun than 'top'.

--
Steve Baker                  http://web2.airmail.net/sjbaker1
sjbaker1@airmail.net (home)  http://www.woodsoup.org/~sbaker

-