Re: [kidsgames] Generic game engine

jm wrote:

> Artists and OpenSource, depends what you are talking of:
>   if you visit the IF site, you'll see that there are A LOT of free
> adventure games.
> Just that they are text-only or with limited graphism and sound.

Right - because that's the kind of thing a programmer can easily do
for him/herself.

> Also the fact to use "Tux" or to create an "open source" mascot for that
> game will limit the amount of creation involved in a game: the "look" will
> be there, just the "data" and the "quizz" are to be designed/written...

Tux (for me at least) is an ideal character for three reasons:

  He was designed by a talented artist
  He is free (OpenSourced) with no copyright entanglements
  He is instantly recognisable.

If I had the talent to design a cool character myself, I'd do so - but
everything I try to do looks *terrible* because I'm just not artistic.

If there were more (any!) artistic type people who could/would design
characters of the 'cuddly' variety and give them away for free, then
in the future (after maybe one more Tux game to complete a trilogy)
I'd be VERY happy to write a game around that character and give
*that* away for free.

However, only a few people have ever offered to help - and not a single
one has ever come through with anything useful.  Ditto musicians,
ditto vocal artists, ditto 3D modelling people, ditto level designers.

Programmers on the other hand have been thronging to help - and several
have made major contributions to the stuff I write.

--
Steve Baker   HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>
              WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>

-