Re: [kidsgames] Sources for stories

Hi Bruce,

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, Bruce G. Robertson wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, you wrote:
> >I don't have any links handy but I was going to check out a text story engine
> >for games called "HUGO". I was going to see if it would work for history
>
> A random thought:
> others have encouraged us to consider what GPL'd stuff is out there that could
> provide good building blocks -- might there be some good stuff in the
> Gutenberg collection that would provide the basis for a reader application?

absolutely.

> I know, I know, Rob is going to say, "great, you're in charge of checking it
> out!" I'll save him the bother; I'm in charge :-)

and thus a leader was born.....

> Does anyone know of or see through to a way of using a text story as the
> basis of a learning application (presumably for the older ones)?

hmm the younger one's, generally have pictures and they can "play around"
in the story.  For older one's your going to have to keep their attention,
that may require outside links to pertinent info, or other "multimedia"
tricks.  hmmmm

> I think the idea of marking up an English dictionary file with reader levels
> is a great idea. there must be public domain resource for this, what with all
> the gov. grants for ESL and so on.

Ok, then you find the dictionaries/encyclopedia's that we either have or
can get permission to use, and we'll start discussing what we are going to
use to mark it up.  There's Xanadu, and the various SGML variants such as
html, xml, etc.  I think XML may be the correct choice here, using
DocBooks or whatever it's called.  Have we got some XML/DocBooks experts
that can make us a mini howto marking up text documents such as
dictionaries and encyclopedias?

Sincerely,

Jeff Waddell
jeff@smluc.org