[kidsgames] Sources for stories

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, you wrote:
>I don't have any links handy but I was going to check out a text story engine
>for games called "HUGO". I was going to see if it would work for history

A random thought:
others have encouraged us to consider what GPL'd stuff is out there that could
provide good building blocks -- might there be some good stuff in the
Gutenberg collection that would provide the basis for a reader application?

I know, I know, Rob is going to say, "great, you're in charge of checking it
out!" I'll save him the bother; I'm in charge :-)

Does anyone know of or see through to a way of using a text story as the
basis of a learning application (presumably for the older ones)?

I think the idea of marking up an English dictionary file with reader levels
is a great idea. there must be public domain resource for this, what with all
the gov. grants for ESL and so on.

Yrs,
 --
Bruce G. Robertson, Dept. of Classics, Mount Allison University
note my new email address: brobertson@mta.ca