Re: [Libevent-users] To upgrade or not to upgrade - that is the question

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 7:27 PM, Gilad Benjamini
<gilad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> We have working Linux application using libevent 1.4
> We are now beginning work on a new version, which would include, among other
> things porting our code to Windows.
>
> Theoretically, it looks like a good point in time to upgrade our libevent to
> 2.0
> The question is should we ?
>
> What are the major benefits of 2.0 ?

Hi, Gilad!

I just updated the "what's new in Libevent 2.0" document.  You can see
the latest version here:
http://levent.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=levent/levent;a=blob_plain;f=whatsnew-2.0.txt;hb=HEAD
.  It's still not complete, but it could be a good place to start.

You can also peruse the draft book-in-progress at
http://www.wangafu.net/~nickm/libevent-book/ ; APIs that are new in
2.0.x are noted throughout.

Generally, Libevent 2.0 has better designed APIs (while retaining
backwards compatibility), better thread-safety, better portability,
better windows support, some key performance improvements, and
numerous new features.  It's (I think) easier to use, easier to debug
with, more tested, and generally better written throughout.

Another reason to consider upgrading is that once Libevent 2.0 has
been stable for a while, we're not going to backport bugfixes to 1.4
unless they are truly critically important.

If you have more specific questions not answered in the documents
above, please don't hesitate to ask here.

yrs,
--
Nick