Re: simple 3d modeler

Jorrit Tyberghein wrote:
Francesco Orsenigo wrote:

What's the simplest 3d modeler available for Linux?
I need to create and export in a very simple format static models made of textured triangles.
What's the best and easier tool to do this?

Best = Blender IMHO
Easiest = not Blender :-)

Agreed!

The modeller I've been using is a closed source product called 'AC3D'.
it costs $60 - but it is REALLY easy to use.

Blender is an odd program.  Whilst it's undoubtedly very capable - and
OpenSourced, it has the weirdest user interface you'll ever see.  It's
quite hard to learn - but there ARE a ton of books, online tutorials,
README's and a complete downloadable narrated video course.

But blender is one of those things that you either "get" or you don't
get.  People who 'get' it completely fall in love with it and will
swear up and down that the blender interface is in fact very clever
and ergonomic.   People who "don't get it" find the darned thing
exceedingly hard to use - impossible to remember and just generally
awkward.

I'm one of the latter group. :-(

I'd really like to love blender - and I fully acknowledge that it's
a great tool (for those who 'get it').  However, I've watched all the
videos, done all of the tutorials, bought (and read) two different
books and contributed $100 to the fund that bought the source code
and released it as OpenSource ... and STILL I couldn't tell you how
to build anything with it...and I'm a 3D graphics professional - I
know half a dozen other 3D modelling tools.

<sigh>

If you are one of the people who are genetically predisposed to
hating blender, give up.  If you are one of the lucky ones who
gets it - then use it and love it because it *is* a good tool
for you.

HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@xxxxxxxxxxx>    WorkEmail: <sjbaker@xxxxxxxx>
HomePage : http://www.sjbaker.org
Projects : http://plib.sf.net    http://tuxaqfh.sf.net