Re: Call For Articles

Pierre Phaneuf <pp@ludusdesign.com> writes:

> We have a game we packaged in RPM format and we wanted to know how we
> could make a "small download" that was okay with the RPM database. I
> mean, I could make a tar.gz with an update script, but if you then did
> an "rpm -V", it would scream at the "corrupted" files...

Don't know how to handle that, anybody with some rpm knowlege? The
easiest solution could be to patch the old rpm directly and than
reinstall it, because that will avoid the need to play arround in the
directory tree.

> A mini-tutorial on how to do a proper installation script for .tar.gz
> binary distributions would be nice too...

But an installation script isn't that important if you have a tar.gz,
since most people should know how to handle this, since elsewere they
wouldn't been able to extract the tar.gz to get the install script ;-)
And I personaly don't like install scripts, since you have to do the
work twice, extract the file, then run the script and the script will
places the files in their directories, a simple:

$ cd /usr/local
$ tar xzf ~/GAME-bin.tar.gz

Doesn't look that difficult.

--