Re: Game Logic

On Wed, Aug 02, 2000 at 05:04:11PM +0000, Pierre Phaneuf wrote:

> Chris Purnell wrote:

> > Perl is a language optimized for textual processing.  With things
> > like it's built in regex engine it does this very well.  But it is
> > not what I'd call appropriate for embedding into a 3D game.  I don't
> > need operations on strings of text but I do need operations on vectors
> > and stuff.

> This is common thinking, but is also very often wrong!

> What do you think is optimized in Perl for textual processing? And how
> would any such optimization prevent optimizing other tasks as well? If
> you don't do any regex, well, yeah, those text-oriented optimization
> won't do you any good, but they won't do any harm either!

No, but the language is still lacking similar 3d-oriented features.
Adding them by having vectors stored in arrays and calling external
C functions is not as optimal as you could get from a language with
a native vector type.

I use Perl a lot and I've done all sorts with it.  It's about the only
scripting language I use these days.  But I wouldn't use it for this.

--
Christopher John Purnell  | I thought I'd found a reason to live
http://www.lost.org.uk/   | Just like before when I was a child