Re: GFX under Linux

On Thursday 06 December 2001  7:56 pm, you wrote:

> Under windows, they say "requires DirectX #.#". If DirectX #.#
> isn't installed, you don't run. If a later version of DirectX
> breaks your app, you make a patch.

FUD FUD FUD FUD, FUD

And FUD

DirectX uses COM, and one of the main aspects of COM is 100% backwards
compatibility. When you create a DirectX interface, you specify the version
you want.

It also uses the dwSize member of structures to identify version info, to
ensure DirectX 8 will run a DirectX 3 title.

Using just the DirectX 8.1 SDK, I can create a DirectX 3 game. (use
IID_DirectInput3 instead of IID_DirectInput8, for instance, when calling
CoCreateInstance() or whatever the hell the function's called)

===
Mark 'Nurgle' Collins
Lead Author - Linux Game Programming (Premiere Press)
Author - Advanced AI Game Development (WordWare)
Email: me@thisisnurgle.org.uk	Phone: +44 7761 774 152
Email: nurgle@isyourgod.net	Spam: spam@thisisnurgle.org.uk