ggi is cool (Re: double buffering ?)

On Sat, 9 Jan 1999, Johnny Taporg wrote:

> Ken Dunn <luser@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
> >

> > I want to use double buffering with SVGAlib, how do I do it,
> > and what potential problems exist with it ?
> >

> One solution is to program SVGAlib indirectly by using
> GGI, and using GGI's scheme for allocating multiple

I must make an aside here. Since reading this I have gotten very
interested in GGI and now read that list as well. It or the design goals I
should say are impressive.

It is becoming cross platform and can use any other libraries as
"targets".

Therefor using ggi will give you flexability on all ends. On the platform
end and the library end.

And actually even if you develop in a library and ggi still sounds good
they are writing wrappers that can handle the old library calls.

this is right off the faq page http://www.ggi-project.org/docs/faq.html
"Or as one our developers puts it: You might want to mention squake
running on
svgalib-wrapper running on LibGGI running on X gives about the same
framerate as squake
running on SVGAlib directly on the gfxhw ;) "

The ggi people are doing some bizzare but wonderfull things. EvStack is a
consol written ontop of ggi and they have two projects to create Xservers
one using FBdev and the other making calls to ggi, Xggi. Xggi can also be
run from any of the targets, so you can run Xggi from X. Whatever good
that would be.

Well what I am getting at is that you would be crazy not to use ggi.

-  Bryan Patrick Coleman  -  Triad Linux Users Group  -  bpcolema@uncg.edu  -
     -  http://www.wayward.net/tlug/index.html  -  tlug-mail@uncg.edu  -