Re: Is this list still alive?

Steve Baker wrote:

> That's why there are 42 versions of Tetris and 14 of Bomberman.

Got something against Tetris derivatives?

http://quadra.sourceforge.net/ ;-)

(yeah, shameless plug!)

> My *hope* is that OpenSource programmers - being free of the constraints
> of Publishers and the demands of Retailers - will be able to innovate whole
> new genres of game that the commercial guys don't have the nerve to risk.

Got any ideas? This, I couldn't agree more, and I would like to get into
such a game project, even more so if I could make it a platform to test
XPLC with (the concept would need to be extensible, like Doom and Quake
were).

I also think that we shouldn't target only Linux, but try to get also
the other Unixes (of course), BeOS, MacOS and the Windows. Then, such
innovative games could be heard about and people would see them.

Hmm, did that make any sense? :-)

> Projects like FlightGear that have reached a 'critical mass' of developers
> are coming along nicely and are self-perpetuating.

Getting to that critical mass is pretty though. I'm trying to recruit
developers to take over Quadra in some time, and it's Hard.

--
"MSDOS didn't get as bad as it is overnight -- it took over ten
years of careful development." -- dmeggins@aix1.uottawa.ca