Re: The Artists thing

Steve Baker wrote:

> > know wheter Linux supports them; Did anyone created hack to play
> > CD-Audio and read CD-Rom data in parallel? If not, you have to
> > install the whole game ...)
>
> Well, usually a game will load up a 'level' with the music turned off - then
> play audio from the CD until the player exits that level to load another.
>
> I don't think that's a serious problem.

You can also just lay the music as simple uncompressed PCM WAV files (or
similar, like .au or something like that) and mix them in, with adequate
buffering and a sound engine that allows streaming. You have to do
mixing anyway, it possibly is done in hardware on some cards and you can
do whatever you want with the CD-ROM, with the same relative space cost.

--
"How much does it cost to entice a dope-smoking Unix system guru
to Dayton?" -- Brian Boyle, UNIX/WORLD's First Annual Salary Survey