Re: The Artists thing

Pedro Medeiros wrote:

> > You can also just lay the music as simple uncompressed PCM WAV files (or
> > similar, like .au or something like that) and mix them in, with adequate
> > buffering and a sound engine that allows streaming. You have to do
> > mixing anyway, it possibly is done in hardware on some cards and you can
> > do whatever you want with the CD-ROM, with the same relative space cost.
>
>  Esound should do that easily for games.

If you don't might to have the sound play next week. Esound has SO MUCH
latency, I can hardly believe it. I'm pushing for non-threaded sound
engines, so you can imagine what my opinion of sound engines in separate
threads is? ;-)

Two processes for something as time-sensitive as sound is crazy. On my
girlfriend's K6-2/350, when playing a MP3 with XMMS through Esound, very
simple stuff like starting a xterm or moving a Netscape window (with
Window Maker) makes the audio skip. This doesn't look too good for
games. And I only have a Pentium MMX 225! ;-)

--
"You can have my Unix system when you pry it from my cold, dead
fingers."